Constitution and By Laws
The name of the group shall be the: Conference Group on Italian Politics and Society. (Gruppo internazionale per lo studio della politica e società italiana).
II. PurposeThe objects of the Conference Group shall be to promote professional study, criticism, and research in Italian political processes and affairs, and to further the common interests of those interested in these purposes.
III. MembershipMembership shall be open to all persons who support or are interested in the objects of the Group, without regard to country of citizenship or residence or of disciplinary affiliation.
IV. OfficersThe officers of the Conference Group shall be: a President, a Vice- President, and an Executive Secretary-Treasurer. The President and the ViceÂ‹President shall be elected for two years in accordance with the provisions of the Bylaws. The Executive Secretary- Treasurer shall be chosen by the Executive Council and shall hold office under such conditions as the Executive Council may specify. Election shall be by e-mail ballot.
V. Executive CouncilThe Executive Council shall be composed of the Officers and five other members of the Conference Group of whom one shall be elected annually for a term of five years. Initially one of the five other members shall be elected for one year, one for two years, one for three years, one for four years, and one for five years. The Executive Council shall be responsible for the overall affairs of the Conference Group and take such action as it deems necessary to promote its interests. Election shall be by e-mail ballot.
VI. MeetingsThe Conference Group shall hold meetings for professional and administrative purposes as determined by the Executive Council. In general such meetings shall be held so as to coincide with the conferences for relevant international and/or national professional associations. Meetings can also be held at other times if the Executive Council so decides.
VII. DissolutionIn the event of the dissolution of the Conference Group, its remaining assets, after the payment of all bills, shall be distributed to the American Political Science Association.
VIII. AmendmentsAmendments to this Constitution must first be approved by two- thirds of the Executive Council and then by a majority of the members who vote on the question. The members shall be polled by e-mail ballot. Suggested amendments should be sent to the Executive SecretaryÂ‹Treasurer.
1. DuesThe annual dues shall be fixed by the members as polled by e-mail ballot. The Executive Council shall propose to the members a system of dues, which can take into account academic rank, income, or both.
2. NominationsThe President, ViceÂ‹President, and members of the Executive Council, other than the Secretary Treasurer, shall be nominated by a Nominating Committee of not more than three members. The nominating committee shall be appointed by the President. The Committee shall include representation from different countries and professional disciplines. In making its nominations it shall try, insofar as possible, to spread its nominations among members from various countries and disciplines. Succession from the Vice- Presidency to the Presidency shall be considered normal procedure. Additional nominations may be made by any member of the Conference Group, obtaining in advance the consent of the nominee.
3. Duties of OfficersThe President shall preside at all meetings. In his/her absence, his/her duties shall fall upon the Vice-President, and, in the latter’s absence, upon a member of the Executive Council designated by the President. The President shall appoint committees, whether Standing or Ad Hoc. The academic meetings of the Conference Group shall be planned by a Program Committee appointed by the President. He/She shall fill vacancies, if they occur, to complete an unexpired term. The Executive SecretaryÂ‹Treasurer shall be the custodian of all the funds of the Conference Group, collecting membership dues and paying bills. He is responsible for the flow of information to the members and the administration of e-mail ballots.
4. FundsIn addition to membership dues, funds may be raised through the receipt of gifts, grants, or donations. In no case, however, shall the acceptance of any gift, grant, or donation restrict the regular activities of the Conference Group or inhibit its scholarly activities or academic freedom.
5. VotingAll members who have paid their annual dues are entitled to vote.